Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Edamame

Do you like edamame?

This green bean snack is easily spotted at any Japanese restaurants. It often served as appetizer. I had my first edamame at Sushi Tei restaurant and at first, well, I didn’t think it special. It was just a green snack.  It’s nice to have. That’s all. But then I was so surprised when I found out that this green bean is not just an ordinary green bean. Edamame is rich in fiber, iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. It also contains protein. What a wonderful bean!  WebMD website listed the research findings from various institutions on the benefits of snacking edamame:
  • Protein of edamame helps to improve the condition of kidney damage, and fatty liver in people with diabetes.
  • Edamame helps to reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) and raise HDL (good cholesterol)
  • Edamame helps to protect against cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.
  • Edamame may help prevent and treat hypertension.
Since then, I always have edamame in my fridge. There are two types of edamame I always buy: the frozen and dried one. I absolutely aware that original edamame is healthier than the salted one, but I stock salted frozen edamame and garlic and spicy dried edamame. I often crave for salty food and snack, and now I will run to edamame for satisfy my salt craving. For frozen edamame, it takes 20 minutes to make it ready to eat by thawing it. I always enjoy eating the fresh edamame at home, but I get used to carry the dried one to office – well, the garlic flavor sometimes is too strong that makes me have to brush my teeth soon after snacking it. The spicy one is ok; it’s not that spicy for me…


 Dried Edamame
 Frozen Edamame

I buy edamame from Edamame Station at Kota Kasablanka mall. The stall is just in front of Carrefour at LG Floor. There are original and salted frozen edamame, meanwhile there are 4 flavor options for dried edamame: salty, garlic, spicy and original. Edamame Station is run by CV Asia Green Foods which having interesting tagline “healthy can be tasty”. I can’t agree more!! Interested to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment